The Fly and Writing

There's a fly in my office
It keeps circling my head
I got out the fly swatter
So I can whack it instead.

Right after I got back in my office
I just kept swinging
Whichever way I can
Just to see if I can get lucky and strike it somehow.

It made me think of a metaphor 
Of my writing style
My focus and my goal
I just get started and just get working.

I didn't get the fly
And perhaps I'm being hard on myself
But sometimes I feel like
I'm wandering aimlessly

Just like I did when swatting at the fly
Just hoping to get lucky.
...and of all the things I can write about
I choose this.

All of the writing coaches
Say "just write"
Get in the habit of writing.
I get so bogged down in perfecting it.
I miss out on writing.

Here's a start...
I didn't get the fly
But I know that it will eventually stop
I will eventually get my goal of being a published author.

Being a perfectionist
Makes me think I'm doing it wrong
But how can it be wrong
If I'm just getting the writing done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Successful Writer is Easy No, seriously. It is.

Getting Motivated to Write

John Yeoman's Writer's Village