Forming A Habit of Writing


I've been writing for two years now.

It's on and off. It was for 50 days straight and then life happened.

Then I started taking classes and reading stuff about blogging.

I entered my first NaNoWriMo last year (2016) which I thankfully achieved and again this year.

Forming a writing habit is pretty difficult for me as an overachiever. I think it's because I wrote for a grade most of the time trying to mostly achieve never really writing what's in my mind or what's going on with me. That led to me resenting writing because I never did it for myself.

I grew up with a lot of introjections and I'm a perfectionist. All of these really feeds my critic just saying all kinds of things in my head like,  "I have nothing to offer...you're not a good writer...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah."

This year is almost over. Just three more days in it. I haven't sent any holiday cards. I let myself off that hook as well.

I put the Christmas tree up on Christmas eve.

I got my daughter from her dad on Christmas day.

I haven't achieved a five-day streak on 4thewords, my writing app. I'm a little discouraged about that. But through all this, it's really important that I don't beat myself up. I think that for me that is the ONLY KEY for me in forming a habit of writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Successful Writer is Easy No, seriously. It is.

Getting Motivated to Write

John Yeoman's Writer's Village