***Five Ways to Boost Your Writing Output***

***Five Ways to Boost Your Writing Output***
1. Write mobile- Once I embraced cell phone writing the world opened-up and gave me hundreds of writing opportunities per day.
Yes, the writing is choppy and the moments are short, but I literally add hundreds (sometimes thousands) of extra words per day, just by writing in stolen moments (waiting in line, during meetings, in the bathroom, waiting for anything).
2. Write daily- Daily writing allows me to knock out more than a million words per year without writing in huge day-long writing sprints. I write every morning, doing my best to hit my goals before noon.
I developed a daily writing habit that became permanent after practicing over 60 days. Now, I've reached 300 days without missing one.
3. Listen to audiobooks and podcasts when you're not writing- If you want to be a prolific writer you've got to be a prolific reader too. We can't deliver the output if we don't feed our melons with quality input.
By adding a constant stream of new content into my head, I never run out of writing ideas when I do find the time to write. I don't want to waste a moment of my writing sessions wondering what to type next. I've always got more content coming in than I could possibly type out.
4. Keep obsessive lists on your phone- I use the Bear app. I really like the intuitive design and hashtag hierarchy. I keep multiple writing lists for content-creation. I've got lists for emails, articles, and courses. If you need a steady stream of content ideas, but you don't want to waste a bunch of time thinking what to do next, try keeping lists in advance of your writing session.
When you're ready to write, all you have to do is scroll down your list and choose one that inspires you. Your subconscious is already triggered, so the words will come much faster than they would, had you wrote the content cold.
The one list I don't keep is a list of book ideas. The book ideas that stick will be the ones that stay in my mind. Content and article ideas are totally list-worthy though.
5. Write cleaner- I don't like the idea of crappy first drafts. We don't have to write a bunch of mind-dump, only to delete 3/4 of the words later. When we write mindfully, we keep more of the content the first time, and spend less time re-writing.
I also use the loop-writing method I've covered previously. I write, then loop back over what I've written, leap-frogging until the end. The book is written in one draft, while getting re-written as I go.
While I don't edit myself as I write I try to think about the word before I type them. I don't have room in the schedule for stream-of-conscious writing. Mindful writing is clean writing is productive writing.

Whew!
I hope that helped a bit.
I realize productivity is different for every writer, but we can add some tweaks to use our writing time more-efficiently.
...and we can squeeze more writing time from each day without taking too much time from family or fun.
It's just as important to step away from the work as it is to spend time writing the work.
In your service,

August Birch (AKA the Book Mechanic)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Becoming a Successful Writer is Easy No, seriously. It is.

Getting Motivated to Write

John Yeoman's Writer's Village